Thursday, August 16, 2012



Interview with Mike Lambert (pictured above) conducted by Julia Henner in May 2012

1.      What made you want to major in English? Why have you chosen your particular emphasis in English?
“When I was a kid, my parents asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up.  I told them that I wanted to be a janitor—that was my first response.  I was attending a private, catholic school at the time and the person that seemed to be the happiest was the janitor.  It’s funny now looking back, but I think I may have been onto something.  For me, choosing to major in professional writing represents a course of study with a lot of options.  If we all did what we wanted to do when we were kids, there would be a lot of princesses and dragon-slayers running around, but I think there is something profound in what we consider important as children compared to adults.  Basically, I feel that with a degree in English, one can do whatever they want—custodial artists included.”

2. What was your favorite English class at UW-Platteville and why?
     “For me, it’s less about the class and more about the professor-student relationship.  Each had a different feel, and to try and pick a favorite becomes redundant.  “I’m your favorite, right mom?”  There were some that were ridiculous and fun, others that were more beneficial in a functional sort of way, and still others that I didn’t enjoy, but learned a lot from.”
 
3. What expectations have you had to meet in college? What should aspiring English majors expect?
     “Writing a lot will make you a better writer.  WE THINK WITHIN THE CONSTRUCT OF LANGUAGE.  Expect to write.  And then write more.” 

4. Why do you feel English (reading, writing, teaching, etc) important? In other words, why should someone want to be an English major?
     It teaches you how to think.  Cue the David Foster Wallace speech:
http://101books.net/2011/04/26/david-foster-wallace-this-is-water/


5. What opportunities are available to expand your writing experience on campus?
     There is a vibrant creative writing community here in Platteville, believe it or not.  This campus is chalk-full of resources if one looks in the right places, and this is extremely important for students and professionals alike.

6. What do you intend to do with your degree / what do you intend to do after you graduate?
     I’m planning on eventually getting an M.F.A. in creative writing from a top university.  I’m also considering teaching English in South Korea for a year or so.  Maybe swim to Xanadu on the weekends.  Become a super-hero. That sort of thing.



No comments:

Post a Comment