Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Interview with Russell Brickey Conducted by Tony Bouxa August 2012



What do you want to accomplish by writing?
Um, absolutely nothing, nothing that is terribly quantifiable.  I find that when I’m trying to describe something it comes out terrible, as a bunch of abstractions, which I suspect is true for most creative writers.  But, if you have time to tinker…to get jiggy with it…something comes out.  The rest of the world doesn’t express itself at all…or does it poorly, except for the rare individuals who can make their brains cogent.
How does your material deal with being a middle-aged white man?
It doesn’t very well.  I think it was maybe Lorca who said that the “infinite things that people write about are Dreams and Childhood.”  There are certainly stories of adulthood, no doubt, but so often they’re being ruined, just ruined in this book.  Most of it deals with what he remembers from being a kid; part of it is just meditating on objects around his house and where they came from.  So I think being a middle aged white guy, I tend to write about the middle class suburban landscape of my youth, and It was quiet and safe and didn’t have most of the problems with rest of the world was dealing with.  And somehow that quiet safety while we know things are happening out there in the world, those are the things we make poems about.
It’s easier to write poetry when you’re not being shot at.
Yeah I mean, [if] you don’t have a death squad threatening to crush your nuts, you’re going to have time to reflect, to form and find imagery.
I asked the question sarcastically, but especially since the Multicultural Conference is coming to campus, it seems to be a theme.
It’s difficult to ask questions about race and gender.
It’s hard to mask them.
What do you say? I had a happy childhood, mom and dad were nice, two kids, no gangs…no real criminals.  How do I write, how does anybody write poems that somebody of a different world will respond to?  I think that’s the trick…but we managed to do it, absolutely…I believe if I’m reading his (Eduardo Corral) poetry correctly, it’s revelatory, and he’s clearly Hispanic.  I think that stuff is beautiful, awesome stuff.  It’s damn good stuff!   He has completely and totally different experiences from mine. If you look at his poems, at least what I’ve read, they’re almost all memory poems.  There are a lot I haven’t read yet, but if you look, so much he’s talking about [are] moments from life.  Memories from childhood [like] the one about his father1.  I’m assuming he’s crossing America.  He find the lizard, he eats it because he’s so ravenous, and it becomes a pure phallic symbol for the speakers own sexuality.  That’s a childhood memory, that’s a memory of a moment that becomes a major change in his life.  A major event, his first encounter with sexuality…a sexual epiphany more or less, and that childhood memory is what poetry is made out of.
What is it about Poetry that makes it [poetry]?
All writing is wonderful in its own regard, but honestly I think poetry more than any other writing, just like music, gets down to the mystery of consciousness.  It’s the way of expressing, what would be otherwise inexpressible.  You could say “my father crossing the desert, and I understood his hunger, his wanting for life and great desire to be alive, and I equate that to my own desire in this culture to come to terms with my own sexuality.”  You could say that, but that’s a flat statement no matter how much you mean it. But you put it into a nicely wrought poem where language and the imagery force the reader into some sort of emotional union with the poet; you have a whole different experience.  That’s the beauty of poetry that I don’t think other kinds of writing can’t do.  And there are things it cannot do as well…the long narrative where you know the character as if you lived with the character for a while.  But I think that poetry is the negative capability.  The ability for language to be more open ended, or to not have to have purely annotative meaning and most language in poetry is almost entirely connotative.  That’s the power it has.

No comments:

Post a Comment