Sunday, December 9, 2012

Interview with Stephen Shepherd Conducted by Tony Bouxa, December 2012


How do you write?  What’s your process?
I think for a long time before I actually write anything.  Other people may outline, have something tangible on paper.  I think about the concept, and where I’d like to go with it.  Once I know what something is about, I’m really close to writing it.  Once I get what I’m really after with a song or a story I’m pretty much ready to say it.  One song I was telling you about took me over 23 years to write and I hadn't figured it out yet, the point to the song.  There was no chorus, no third verse.  I started working on it in 1975 and didn't finish it until 2006 or seven.
Is that pretty common with your more popular or profound works? Does it take longer for those to get from your head to your paper?
Yes, I think that’s true.  I've never woken up in the middle of the night, scribbled something down and said “what a wonderful piece that is.”  McCartney claims for “Yesterday” he woke up in the middle of the night and wrote it all in three minutes.  It was one of his most successful pieces.  That may be true but I've never done that.  I have always had artistic struggle in order to write.
Which do you prefer to write, music or fiction?
At one time it was whatever I could, if I could write a story I’d write a story.  It was kind of refreshing for a while, to be able to shift gears into different genres and say “I can write a story today” and then you struggle for a while and write a piece of music.  It was very refreshing.
So you write between genres?
I used to years ago and then when I started concentrating on music I wrote fewer and fewer stories it seemed.  That entertained me for quite a while, and it still does, but that entertained me to a point where it was more enjoyable to write music.  At one time when I was younger I was entertained by writing reports.  It got old and I started writing fiction and that went as far as I could take it I think. There might be something left, there might be a novel left somewhere but at that point in time I said “this is where I wanted to go with that.”  For me it’s about pushing the boundaries of my own creative mind, that’s it, if you read one of the stories you’d say “that’s quirky” and that’s how I like to write. A lot of times, when you lose that edge, you can’t push that boundary any further, you arrive and say “that’s what I can do with that.”
So talk about your fiction for us.  Is there an underlying element to your fiction or a style you like to write in?  You've spoken about a Rock and Roll sci-fi, is that a common vein, music and science fiction?
I think there is one that runs through those two pieces but it’s not sci-fi and it’s not fantasy.  It is social commentary.  There is a guy in one of the stories who owns a word dump in Madison.  He has created a landfill for words people no longer want to use.  In the story people come filing in from miles around, they’re bringing trash bins and bags and baskets full of stuff of things they don’t want to say anymore.  Swear words, idiotic things and they are giving them to the dump.  In other words the words become tangible and they are reaching into station wagons taking out words and letters. They are taking them back to the landfill and putting them into categories, with lover’s-lane words over here and swear words over there.  The owner of the word dump has had problems with his own marriage, and his wife brings him some trash bags full of words she’s been gossiping at the local beauty parlor.  He opens the trunk and she has bags full of words she doesn't want to say anymore.  He takes the trash bags out and one of them breaks, and at the top of the pile of letters is the saying “Donald, I love you”.  That’s how this guy finds out; the bag bursts and reads about Donald.  He brings all these words up and asks “who is Donald?”  She explains that he was never around; he was too busy with his dump and etc.  So he takes her over to the dump for the words from lover’s-lane and they piece together their marriage in a conversation from that pile. 
In another story, a guy serves fast food so fast that it’s invisible.  The food doesn't exist, the diner doesn’t exist, but people line up to buy it.  It’s a comment about how America can never get anything fast enough and at this point in time in the story things are so fast they don’t exist, there’s no more actual experience. 
There’s one about nuclear holocaust, about the unaccounted for nuclear weapons in the world.  But the United States and Russia are still negotiating a peace, underground, after a nuclear holocaust.  It’s called The Underground Holiday Inn.  They are negotiating after the world has already been destroyed.  It’s a comment about how diplomats talk and don’t act towards making the world a safe place.  Finally they get discovered by a team of nuclear experts who find them down there negotiating.  This team of experts shows up in their suits, and there is no radiation this far down.  One expert says “don’t you think it’s a little too late for talk?  The world’s been destroyed.”  The Russian asks “Well it didn’t happen did it?” He asks the president of the United States, the president responds “nope, never did and never will” and suggests a cocktail before a swim.
Sounds a little like Vonnegut.
Actually, when it came out, Bookslingers up in Minneapolis, a distributing company, advertised it with Vonnegut’s Cat’s Cradle so it has, certainly that influence.
So speculative fiction then?
Yes, it’s like Calvino, the Italian writer. It’s creating a reality, and it’s tough to do, creating in the readers mind an atmosphere where you can believe that these things are plausible.  It is a very tough thing to do.  I kind of push that limit with what I do with writing, it’s what I can do.  If anyone asks how creative I can be, there it is, that’s all I can do with that.  You know on the guitar there are parallels there.  The one clip you mentioned the other day about that interview on YouTube from the university here, it’s a finger picking style.  I could have used Paul Simon’s style from way back then, or a folk style, but I chose to make my own instead.  It’s taking something that’s already existing and making that your own through creative possibilities.  So the guitar became another outlet for it, the stories reached a point where I decided I couldn't do anymore with those.  I may be circling back to approach it at another point in time but when I stopped writing stories I had thought I had done what I could do.  Now I don’t know, I am still writing music, but from a creative standpoint I might reach a point where I've taken that where I can and I've decided what I’m doing next, I’m going to paint!  Cheever said writing isn't a competitive sport; it’s an act of self-discovery. 
So back to the music, why did you choose country?
It was easy!   My mother was a music teacher and she played classical music and Broadway show tunes.  My dad was a worked for a factory for 42 years and all of his relatives where from the south, so you get a lot of country from there too.  He played guitar too and my uncle Ray would come in with his fiddle and his friends from the factory would come in with their guitars and there would always be country music in the background with classical music coming from the radio, and there is some crossover there.
What advice would you have for artists, writers, creative types?  What is your stereotypical answer for advice?
As trite as it might sound, imitating other people is not the way to go.  Having people influence you is almost necessary, everybody gets influence by some artist, but to imitate a sound or some formulaic route is probably a waste of time.  It’s not very fulfilling creatively that way.  You can listen to the radio and say “oh I like that sound, I’m going to put these two sounds together and I’m gonna get that” I’m sure people do that. But the most satisfying way to do this is to do your own creative thinking, and not to imitate what is the latest and greatest but to test yourself to see if you have any talent for making your own work.  If there is anything that defines what really is “artistic” it’s when the artist can say “okay I have influences but those influences did not influence me to the point where it lapsed into some kind of imitated result.  I never did imitate, I have never imitated.  If you read my work you can see influences but you’ll never see anything quite like it.  That’s because I can genuinely say as an artist that I own it, it is who I am, and I am it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment