Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Interview with Gary Jones Conducted by Antonio Bouxa September 2012



What do you write?
I am an extremely prolific writer, not necessarily a good writer, but extremely prolific.  I write all kinds of things, I’ve been writing since the 1970’s, but what I have been doing more recently: I write poetry, I write plays, I write short fiction and I continue to freelance as a journalist.  I follow the Virginia Woolf rule “Room of One’s Own” approach, I get up every day at five, and that’s when I start writing.  Last year one of my plays won second place in the Dubuque Fine Arts Players One Act Play Contest and this spring I had a play performed by the Wauwatosa Village Players.
Why plays?  What does a play let you access that poetry or fiction doesn’t?
It gives me an element of control over the characters, what they say what they do.  It becomes a sort of exploration.  It’s almost like a laboratory of human interaction and I like that a lot.  Coincidently I did my undergraduate work in Platteville fifty years ago; I was taking the freshman English class that I teach now.  The little theatre in Doudna was the theatre for all campus productions.  I think what has happened is that we don’t act in plays anymore, I still like theatre, I still respect it, and its satisfying to write it and have it performed, but I don’t need to see it performed, it’s still as satisfying to write it.  I would say that theatre is far more sophisticated than when I was hear…that’s its grown.  The theatre is far more sophisticated than the old presidium theatre, and there are far more possibilities.
So what is theatre’s role in a world of modern media?
What I would say is like, you can read, you have electronic devices for reading novels, but there’s something tactile about the experience of reading a book.  Reading online is okay, but there’s something about the tactile experience of the book.  The same thing is true with live theatre.  I enjoy film as much as anyone does but I seldom have a visceral feeling of excitement when a film is about to role, that I do when its live theatre, and the lights go down, and people walk on stage.  People that you can touch and you know that things can go wrong, and things can be wonderfully unexpected.  It is just such a live visceral feeling, and that’s what I like about live theatre.  There’s a vulnerability knowing there’s no second take, that’s the thing that is exciting.  You can have fire alarms in the theatre and it doesn’t affect the film unless it catches fire.  But the audience affects the performance, and there’s a sort of relationship that’s wonderful.
What is the role of short fiction?
I’ve written unpublished novels, they aren’t as satisfying.  I like novels because I like a project that sustains me that pulls me along.  I feel a hedge against mortality when you’re writing something [like a novel]…I love novels, but they’re much more difficult to write.  I find what I like about short fiction, and the way I write short fiction is I come up with an idea, or character or deadline…spurred by something that speaks to me, and I run with it.  I keep a cheap notebook as a journal and I write basically stuff and ideas, and then I’ll sit down, and put out a story in one sitting, and I will work on it later.  But that’s something you cannot do with a novel.  It’s also easier to find an audience for short fiction than for novels…and I write poetry for that reason too.
What do you like about poetry?
I see my poems many times as snapshots.  Like bits and pieces of my life and my personality and experience.  I write poetry, generally for myself, and sometimes it will work for other means but generally for me.  When writing poetry I use what I think of as the infinite number of monkeys with infinite number of typewriters kind of thing.  I write just a boatload of stuff.  I don’t write a poem every day, but over the year, I probably write three hundred poems.  Some of them are awful, but I don’t need to write a poem every day I get up.  It’s inspired by stuff around me, and sometimes it works well, other times not so well.  I heard a poet one time say when someone asked him “how do you know if you’ve written a good poem?” and he replied “You don’t.”

No comments:

Post a Comment