Saturday, September 15, 2012

Interview with Colin Lessig Conducted by Antonio Bouxa September 2012


What do you write?
Right now I’m focusing on this project; it’s a young adult novel, because I think my primary goal is to reach an audience that doesn’t read.  I know it sounds counterproductive but I want to create material that will inspire people who are like I was when I was a teenager.  I really didn’t read all that much and a lot of my friends didn’t read that much, but there were these odd books here and there we would pick up and say “this is actually really cool” and it sort of inspired people to want to keep reading and look at other texts, and explore other avenues in the literary world, but you have to start with that first groundbreaking book.
So you’re trying to write something that’s more accessible?
Right, and more so than targeting people who already read writing to the fiction community, the story that I want to tell is a focus for those young adults.  Those mainly, I guess male, audience to try and show them that books are really cool and a story that can appeal to them. 
So how do you make a book more accessible, more transparent and manageable?
Whenever you’re going to write for a particular genre, the best thing you can do is read books that are already out there and published in that genre so you can get a sense of what is being produced, what topics are being investigated, what language is being used.  There’s no gratuitous sex in my book, there’s two fifteen year old boys trying to…you know…along with other major themes, one layer is they are trying to get their rocks off.  So I was wondering, how lewd can I get with my language for a young adult novel because I’m not really sure.  When I read stuff for adults there’s no real boundary other than taste, but I was curious as to what I should do for a fourteen, fifteen, sixteen year old male audience, what I can get away with and still be published.  So I would pick up books that were regarded as testing the waters of decency in terms of young-adult.  There’s one book that I read called “Doing It” by a British author…You’ll read comments about how disgusting filthy and lascivious this is, but at the same time you would read comments about “Finally a book that speaks the language and speaks the way that teenagers thinks.”  So that was a real important step as a writer, you need to understand your audience and what is already out there to be said.  That kind of gave me some guidelines on how to write this.  It’s a story based off of my experiences when I was sixteen and went to England to work for a summer with a buddy of mine.  I already had that story and I knew I wanted to share it to some degree.  It could go one of two ways, either a wiser adult reflecting on the sixteen year old self during this unique opportunity, or I could do it with a sense of urgency and have it in the perspective of the teenage character, and that’s the way I wanted to do it.  Then I thought obviously in literature you have teenage narrators, but for the most part the audience that will gravitate towards that is other teenagers, and I realized that I should stick to the young-adult/teenage audience, and then I decided that I do have some ideas and themes I would like to convey to a younger audience. 
I’m assuming you had it planned out, if it’s from memory, did anything catch you off guard, was the pen smarter than the writer?
Because I’m basing it off of memory, the spine of this probably doesn’t change all that much.  In my pre-writing stages I’ve drafted a pretty straight forward arc of actions.  But what I do find is, when I move from action to action to action, the major plot points, those are where things tend to change, where characters develop more.  As I said I approached this with plot points, with main plot points.  When I leave America, when I return to America and England in between.  It turned out to be quite interesting, because I fictionalized these characters considerably, not to offend my friend…some real shitty stuff happened, and it’s not protecting the innocent but I don’t want to bring stuff up that would be painful for others so I’m taking some very creative leaps and bounds to avoid that.
Do you have to make your characters super-real, almost hyperbolize them, to make them more accessible?
The first thing that I like to do, when I have an idea of a book that I want to write, I think about characters.  That’s when I get detailed with character sketches, I find out: who this person is, how do they react in certain situations, what are their biggest fears? What are their pleasures in life? To give me a basic understanding on who this character is.  I think it’s necessary for authenticity to go and pick up on attitudes and demeanors.  I use my students; they humanize qualities that I see in some of my characters.  I watch and see how they speak and interact and they have these qualities I see in my one character and it helps to develop them.  So I guess I externalize to a degree to come up with these characters, and I think it’s extremely imperative that you sit down and really figure them out.  The more you know your character, the more you know how they’ll react to a situation.  It’s essential that you have a solid understanding of your characters, and that you figure them out, before you write, and as you write get to know them better.
Do you have any final words to help out new writers?

It sounds stupid, but start saying yes.  Your friends invite you to go on an impromptu road trip to West Virginia - say yes.  Your friend wants to go to Target at two in the morning - yes, go.  You can only gain so much experience cooped up in your house reading or watching television.  Some of the coolest and most interesting stories I've heard come from people who don't have advanced creative writing degrees but from folks who go out and experience life.  When you go out and work odd jobs, go to parties, partake in day trips/weekend trips, and so on, you expose yourself to any number of small anecdotes or large ideas you can incorporate into your writing.   Remember when your friends went to visit that dude at University of Iowa while you stayed home?  When they came back Sunday night, they had annoying inside jokes and wild stories - well, they might have something to develop into a piece of short fiction, or something to include in a novel.  You never know unless you get out and say yes to things (unless your friend offers you heroin or something.  Say no to that).  And yes, I should start heeding my own advice a bit more.  I spend too much time grading and sitting in front of a computer.

No comments:

Post a Comment